Saturday, July 10, 2010

Going to look at a horse for sale, how do I know if I should buy or not?

I am going to look at a horse this weekend, I am very excited but nervous. This would be my first horse. I am taking my trainer with me to help, but ultimately it will be my decision. This is a very big decision, how do I know if I should buy or not after seeing the horse and riding it?Going to look at a horse for sale, how do I know if I should buy or not?
You definitely shouldn't buy a horse on just looking at it. You definitely need to ride it a few times and make sure your comfortable with it. I know many people who bought horses after only riding it once and after a month realizing they made a mistake in buying that horse. I am contemplating selling my horse right now because I really didn't know what I was getting into when I bought my horse, an ottb. I knew it would be work to train him, but i didn't really know how much. So make sure you know whether your buying a trained horse or one that needs a lot of work. Since this is your first horse you should probably buy something that is already experienced and trained. Also never buy the first horse you see. Always try a couple first to make sure you found the right one. Last but not least make sure you vet check before you buy. The horse you are looking to buy could have medical problems the owner didn't tell you about.Going to look at a horse for sale, how do I know if I should buy or not?
You want a horse that is sound (not lame) gentle, not aggressive or hard to handle, he needs to respond well to your commands. Those are the main things. Remember, don't jump on the first horse you find, everybody always wants to buy the first thing they come to. Test out a good few horses before making a decision, and if you don't come across a horse that you REALY like out of these few, then waight a while! Don't rush into buying a horse.
DO NOT buy a horse because it is pretty or you like the color or size. Listen to your trainer's opinion first and foremost. That is why you are taking an expert with you. Insist on a vet exam with a vet your trainer trusts. You don't have to buy the first horse you see. There are literally thousands of horses out there and every one of them is better than another horse somewhere. Leave the emotion in the car and use your critical eye remember you have to live with your decision. Your trainer should be looking for signs that the horse has been drugged. Hopefully if you do like the horse the seller will agree to a trial period for you so you can see if you still like the horse tomorrow, or next week, or next month....
you should hold on 2 the money until u ride the horse and let it meet u. if u buy the horse then be sure to make the seller sign a reciept
It's good you're bringing your trainer. If you can call the barn's vet and see if they'll give you a list of questions to bring. If possible, bring the vet, too and have vet check right then and there. You'll need clean x-rays and a full medical history (any diseases, founder, colic and a vaccination record) before you purchase as well.





As you ride, think about how you feel on the horse. Is he responsive? You'll know if there's a bond ready to form, usually.





Ask the seller if they have a trial period. If they are good horse people, they'll let you take the horse for a week or two to see how well you work together in a new environment (give it a week or two for him to settle in and adjust to a new owner). If it turns out you're not a match, see if the owner would be willing to take him back and find a better partner for him. Any decent horse person should agree to this.





And of course, you'll probably feel like OMG! ACK! even if it's a perfect match. It is a big life-changing decision. Just have a back up plan in place. it'll make the transition smoother for everyone involved.





Good luck and congrats!
Listen to your trainer. If he says don't buy, don't buy. There is a reason why he has decided he doesn't want the horse in his barn. If he says buy or does not state an opinion, then read the rest of the answers given here for help.





Also, don't let the seller or your trainer pressure you into making a decision right away. In never hurts to sleep on it. If they are pushing too hard, they are not thinking about your best interests, only the money which will change hands. ASK if your trainer will be getting a commission.
Because you won't be able to find a better horse after it and you will be downgrading the other horses you see to it, basically you'll just fall in love when you find the right horse, trust me i always do!
How much trouble and expense you want to go to for pre-purchase exams depends entirely on what you intend to use the horse for and how much you are thinking about spending.





If you are just looking at a pleasure mount, then a knowledgeable trainer or friend will be all you need. You can learn a few of the simple tests the vet uses to check for lameness, but I would venture that your trainer already knows them. If you are looking to buy a horse for more difficult work then, sure, go to the added expense of hiring a vet and getting x-rays.





Horses do not have to be an expensive hobby if you just use some common sense. (but I know that commodity is in very short supply these days)
Take a vet with you - seriously - what you will pay the vet is pennies compared to the problems that you could have with the horse. Be sure to ride it for the vet so that you can get a feel for it and also so that the vet can look at it's gait and how it moves.
You'll just know.


If you absalutely love the horse, obviously you sould buy him.


If your not quite sure, think about it more and look at more horses.


If you don't like him, don't buy him.
First and foremost, before you go any further than riding it and watching it being ridden....is you have to ask yourself...is this THE one....or do I just want it because I'm excited and want to own one soooooo bad. If you really like the horse, and he rides to suit you, and the trainer advises that it looks like a good match, then I'd schedule a prepurchase exam by a veterinarian. Depending on the purchase price of the horse and your financial limitations, it doesn't even have to be all that much....physical, checking breathing, heart, eyes...such the like, and a simple brief lameness exam, flexion, hoof testers, and palpation. If he passes all of that, then you're good to go.
if the horse rides good and acts good and healthy or skdish


or doesnt kick i dont see what the problem is
I would look around before making the final decision. Get a vet's report and make sure the horse can load, clip, tie, bathe and if you are having any doubts in your mind, don't go through with it. A horse is a big expense and you want to find the perfect one.
I make sure he is healthy and sound.also make sure you have enough money for his upkeep(board,feed ,tack ,supplies ,vet, farrier, dentist.......).If you think he is fun to ride and dose the discipline(if you want to do barrels don't buy a western pleasure horse, they are trained to go slow) you want he should be fine.if you want to do occasional slow(not galloping or jumping)u probably want an older horse.take into consideration the hoses and your skill level.The less accomplished you are the older the horse should be.Green rider+green horse =bad.Trust me i got a green horse and i think i ruined him pretty bad:( Green dos not mean you have been riding for a short time ,it means you aren't a great rider like you can't tell a lead.Just a example a girl in my pony club has been riding a year and she can jump 2'6'' I have been riding for 3 years and I still can't tell a lead(darn it!).Sorry if I sound selfish and mean or if I offended you:)
i would bring a vet if u could but just look on how it acts is it nice well for sure u got to ride it cause even if its nice it could be completly diferent when youre on its back but u will know trust me
Ok so horse that I had now is not my favorite horse in the world. The reason I have him is because the lease on my old horse was up and I missed him like crazy. So it was a weak time in my life. I went out and bought the first horse I saw. I was despraite for a horse and so like I said I bought the first one I saw. You will know when you find the right horse. The right horse for me unfortunately was the horse I used to lease. Anyway, you will know when you see the horse for you. Goodluck and I hope that you find the right horse.
You'll noe. You'll get along with the horse, he'll be listening to u and you jsut might like the way he works and moves. DOnt be nervous, be excited and confident that you'll make the right choice and you'll love it. :) GOod Luck
i have been through six horses after we got into them about 7years ago. You want to make sure you have found a horse that you can see yourself spending time with and that is well trained (since this is your first horse). It is an excellent idea to bring a trainer with you while looking at the horse and I wish i thought about that the first time too. You might also want to bring a vet with you if you are seriously interested in the horse. Look at more horses before you jump into conclusions with that one horse and go see him more then once!! The last horse we bought i went to see 3 times before i bought him and that made a big difference. Make sure you're able to pick up all of his feet and lung him. If the owner doesn't want you do this then there must be something wrong. I hope i helped and i wish you the best of luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment