Monday, August 16, 2010

Would you be weirded out of someone wanted to take a video when they came out to look at your horse for sale?

I'm getting ready to leave to go check out a DWB gelding... I want to take a video, but I'm worried she'll be weirded out.





What about pictures? Is that weird to?Would you be weirded out of someone wanted to take a video when they came out to look at your horse for sale?
Anyone who says you are NOT allowed to take a video of their horse, including pictures, journals, notes, etc, is not someone you want to work with.





I haven't EVER asked permission to take a video of a horse I was looking at. I brought my camera, said ';I'm going to take a video/pictures to review with my trainer';. Had anyone given me trouble with that I would have looked elsewhere. Someone not letting you take a video is a sign of someone trying to hide something.Would you be weirded out of someone wanted to take a video when they came out to look at your horse for sale?
it's definitely not weird to take pictures! people will understand you're trying to remember the horse. they know you have specific things you want to remember. you should be taking pictures! it's very normal to take pictures of the horse. same as you would want to take pictures of a house you're looking at, a campus you're looking at, or a car you're looking at. people will be very understanding. same with video. no one's going to think you're weird. especially with a horse, seeing the way they move is extremely important.





and even if it is weird, who cares! you'll probably never talk to this person again, so what's the difference if they think you're weird :)
It's completely normal. I always have someone take a video when I ride the horse. You can't see the overall picture of how you and the horse work when you are are them, unless there are mirrors in the arena. Pictures are fine too. You've got to know what you look like to make the decision! Maybe it doesn't matter quite as much for jumping but since you want to do eventing you've got to have the dressage down, so you've gotta look GOOD!
No, I don't think so. If they were just filming the horse/someone riding, why not? One less video I would have to send them. I am sure the seller would understand that you are going to what it for reference - most people don't go in with the idea that they are going to buy that one horse, they have several options and sometimes need to see them moving right after each other.





Now, if someone came in and started filming a documentary, I would be kind of weirded out
Not at all--in fact, I think it's a good idea. When my mom's friend was looking at horses, we took pictures and videos so that she could go home and watch it again (when she has plenty of time to look for every little thing and isn't under pressure from the owner) and also so she could show her trainer, who didn't go with us. It also lets her see how she looks on the horse--she watched me ride the horse and watched the owner ride (as I assume you will do), but the only way she can tell how she looks is to take pictures/videos. After all, it doesn't matter how good the horse looks with the owner--if you can't make him look that good, it's pointless. I think it's especially helpful if the horse is far away (so you can't just go see him again when you decide to check out something else), if you don't have someone going with you to help be your ';eyes,'; or if your trainer isn't there to help.





Just tell them you'd like to take pictures/videos and ask if that's okay. The worst they can do is say no, and the way I see it, if they have a problem with you doing that, they could be hiding something. They'd rather make an ';easy sale'; to someone who may believe what they say than have that person show the video to someone who knows better. Most people would be happy to have you take videos/pictures.
I do it all the time.


I take a video of the owner riding and then I have someone video me riding. I go out with people to be their ';crash test dummy'; and they video me.


I like to be able to see how I work with the horse as opposed to the owner and also to be able to check out the horses movement and compare to a different horse I may be considering.
I don't think it's weird at all!! If someone were coming to check out my horse I'd welcome any pictures or video. Heck, if it were me I'd be taking my fiance's Nikon D80! Sometimes you want to go look back if you're having trouble deciding, at least I do, and some people just don't have the best photography skills when it comes to their ad.





If you're worried about her being weirded out I would just give her a call before you go and say ';Hey would you mind if I take some video and/or pictures when I come out?'; She's not going to say ';No!!'; :)
NO! You definately should. Take pics of each side of him, head and hindquarters as well. Then when you get on, take pictures of you on him. Take videos of you riding him at each gait, stopping him and backing up. Just ask first. If you are potentially paying money for this horse of theirs, they will have no problem with you taking pictures of him.
I think it's prudent. If the horse is an upper level horse, a video should be available. A knowledgeable trainer or vet who specializes in lameness should also look at the video.





Don't forget the pre-purchase exam...





Good luck on your horse.
Nope :p





Just ask them, and ensure them that you are only recording your ride so that you can analyze it and see how you look on him, etc.





I see no reason as to why they'd say no, or why they'd be weirded out by that!





Have fun, Meagan! Good luck!!!
no not at all. we take lots of videos and pics cuz when we get home we show it to our dad. and if we like the horse and get that horse we would already hav pics to show people. and you can ask people what they think with the videos!
No, I wouldn't mind.


But just in case, casually talk about your mom or trainer wanting to see the horse too, so that's why you're taking the videos and pictures.
I videoed every horse I saw when I was shopping so that I could review the performance of the horse and see how I looked on it. If the seller was alarmed, I considered that a bad sign.
No, especially if you want to have a think about it, show other people for opinions or to see how you look on the horse etc


Just ask first would she mind.
Well definately ask first just say its for your trainer or someone to see how it runs or walks or whatever horses do
No but just make sure the owner doesn't mind first.


I'm sure they won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment